My Week Before the Marathon
It is crazy for me the think that this time next week, I will be finished with this marathon that I have been training for the past couple of months. Saturday I completed my last long run (10 miles). I really wasn’t expecting any thing out of the ordinary from it, but when I finished, it hit me that this was it!
So how do I prepare myself this week? This is only my second full marathon, so I hardly call myself an expert, but here are my strategies for the week.
1. Hydrate. Being well hydrated = better performance.
2. A banana a day. There is no real reason behind this other than it seems like a runner’s superfood, and I did this before my first marathon. Maybe it’s the thought of storing up that potassium or something. And it’s a good source of carbohydrates.
3. As the week progresses, I will gradually increase the carb intake. It’s important to note here, that I do not believe this means to add more calories, etc. Just the source will gradually change. Also, carb loading doesn’t mean just bagels, bread, and pasta. I can guarantee if you look at the diet of an elite runner, they are not hanging out at the all-you-can-eat pasta bar.
4. Rest and work on getting good sleep at night.
5. Trust in my training, and know that I have done the work needed to be successful. A lot of different thoughts can come up during this time. Did I train hard enough? Did I overtrain? Am I going to be able to deal with the discomfort and stay tough? There isn’t anything that can be done at this point, so just relax and know it’s all going to be okay.